Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Taiwan bananas selling poorly
According to a news report from the Taiwanese 'Joint News Agency', the Taiwan Legislative institution has invited the Chairperson of the Agricultural Assembly, Lin Congze, to make a report of the situation. Many assembly members are concerned about the price of the bananas. Based on the current statistics of the Taiwan Provision Bureau, the wholesale price of bananas on the day was only 8 Taiwanese dollars per kilogram, or around 1.7 RMB.
A council member of the Democratic Progressive Party, Qiu Yiying, has stated that she made three phone calls to the Defence Department to buy the bananas. The department in return answered that the officers and soldiers had been eating bananas for the past two months.
Because of the wind damage last year, the Taiwanese banana production has fallen into a state of disorder. Farmers have all returned to the cultivation at the same time. Additionally, the weather has been ideal for the growth of the bananas. As a result, the banana production has increased this year and this has led to the severe depreciation. Banana farmers are forced to sell at a loss or to let the bananas rot. The Taiwanese media also indicated that the Agricultural Assembly has sent out a warning in May this year that a banana crash was building up. But no effective measures were taken. The consumption on the island is limited and the consumption outside Taiwan is thin. Because of a deterioration in relations between mainland China and Taiwan, the mainland has practically bought no bananas from Taiwan.
æŠ¥ (å ±) [bÃ o]
- to announce
- to inform
- CL:ä»½[fen4],å¼µ|å¼ [zhang1]
Publication date: 10/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: