Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
James Rogers, CEO of Apeel Sciences
“Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Apeel Sciences has developed a natural, edible solution, Edipeel, to extend the shelf-life of produce. For some produce varieties, the application extends shelf-life by five times. “Our goal is to create a more sustainable food system that lasts longer and doesn’t go to waste,” says James Rogers, CEO of Apeel Sciences. Unused plant materials are used as a base for the solution. “We are using food to preserve food,” he added.
Conventional as well as organic
The invisible application was first launched for citrus products and right now, the company is finalizing contracts with avocado suppliers. “The joke about avocados is: not now, not now….too late,” mentioned Rogers. “It’s a costly item and we are trying to deliver heartier, healthier avocados.” The formulation will keep ripe avocados ripe for twice as long. “It doubles the soft time of the product.” The avocado application has been approved by the FDA and is allowed to be used on conventional as well as organic product.
Formulation varies by region
“We are working with avocado suppliers at the global level and started with a pilot customer in each important avocado growing region. Right now, we are running pilots in the US, Mexico, Peru and Chile and have received regulatory approvals from all four countries,” Rogers commented. Avocados are different in each region and therefore, the formulation is dialed in for each of these geographic areas.
Apeel Sciences will be rolling out the avocado formulation this quarter. Avocado suppliers that are interested in this technology, can contact James Rogers for a meeting at PMA Fresh Summit. “There are still opportunities available to sign up for the program and we will make decisions soon after PMA.” Apeel Sciences just moved into a 105,000 sq. ft. building that is ten times larger than its previous location. “In theory, we are able to manufacture enough Edipeel to treat the world’s supply of avocados, but in addition to avocados, we will also be putting our efforts in extending the shelf-life of other produce varieties.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: