Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- New Zealand company creates robots for horticulture
- Maersk outlines techniques to preserve quality of blueberries during shipment
- Hydroponics, focusing on nutritional value per hectare
- NZ: The apple varieties putting the focus back into taste
- Fresh Del Monte Produce to buy back $300 million in outstanding shares
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Vietnam should improve quality to increase ag exports to South Korea
Vietnam is likely to reach US$70 billion of bilateral trade with South Korea by 2020, an official said at a seminar on export promotion to South Korea held on Friday in HCM City.
Lę An Hải, deputy head of the Ministry of Industry and Trade’s Asia-Pacific Market Department, said bilateral trade between the two countries had soared 87-fold, from $500 million in 1992, to $43.4 billion last year.
Speaking on the sidelines of the meeting, Heo Songmoo, counselor for food & drug safety affairs at the South Korean Embassy said food safety should match the country’s high standard of imports, which is equivalent to standards required in the United States and Japan.
“Improving marketing tools as well as packaging (attractive, with sufficient information about the product) should be a top priority for Vietnamese exporters in order to compete with Thailand and others,” he told Việt Nam News.
Meanwhile, Yoon Byung Soo, product strategy director at Lotte Việt Nam Shopping Join-Stock Company, said Korean customers preferred healthy, high-quality products.
Vietnam should diversify its products and pay more attention to product appearance and packaging as Korean consumers are willing to pay more for those features, he said.
Nguyễn Minh Phương, a representative from CJ Freshway Vietnam, said that Korean standards were very high, particularly for agricultural products, creating a tough barrier for Vietnamese exporters.
South Korea has an area one-third the size of Việt Nam, but the country’s population is 51.44 million. Due to an inadequate food supply from domestic producers, South Korea depends heavily on imports of agricultural products.
Việt Nam, one of South Korea’s most important trade partners, has great potential to become a strategic exporter of agricultural products to Korea, Phương said.
Publication date: 10/2/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: