Job offersmore »
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- Lidl formula is becoming more and more like the local corner shops
- Fruit fly infested fruit found in supermarket
- Increased packing line efficiency for Washington apple grower
- US: Next generation of pre-packaged snacks adds fresh fruit and vegetables
- Italian kiwifruit growers visit New Zealand orchards
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Exporters in Ecuador paying up to $13 per box of plantains
El Carmen is one of the main plantains producing areas for the industry and export in Ecuador. 80% of that crop goes to the United States and Europe with the rest going to the local market.
In these summer months, production has been small because of lack of irrigation. This low production has some benefits for growers however, as it has generated a significant increase in price.
The value established for the exportation of the box of plantains is $ 7.30, but it currently reaches $ 13. Wilmer Valencia has 12 hectares of bananas in Pedernales. The farmer is satisfied with the price, but he has the aspiration that with the increase of irrigation he can produce more.
Luis Loor, president of the National Federation of Plantain Producers of Ecuador (Fenaprope), says that this situation is usual during these months.
“We would like to produce more now when the best prices are paid.” The leader mentions that as of August, prices begin to rise until November. Despite the small production, Torres says that is a good time for the sector. “I would say that is one of the best market prices in 40 years, a box of plantains ready for consumption is more expensive than an export box.”
Publication date: 9/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: