Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Turkey: Enough lemons to export all year round
In Turkey, lemons are produced for a period of 6 months; however, the volume of fruit harvested is so high that most medium and large producers usually store them in their cold rooms to continue supplying their customers during the rest of the year. "We produce about 1,000 tonnes of lemons a month, of which we export almost 90%," explains Emir Öztürk, head of Zebzeci.
Destinations such as the UK, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Dubai, India, Vietnam, South Asia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Russia or Armenia receive lemons of Turkish origin on a weekly basis. "We are in an excellent location for the logistics. Turkey is close to Europe and also to Asia, which makes transport much easier and cheaper, "explains Öztürk.
However, not all countries come into play throughout the year, since not all lemon producers have their goods ready at the same time. "For us, both Spain and Morocco are very competitive in the international arena." The fact is that both countries produce large quantities of this citrus fruit, and in the Spanish case, the fact that they don't have to pay certain taxes (because they belong to the EU) makes them the biggest competitor.
For more information:
Tel.: +90 5412257720
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: