Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Greenyard gives first estimate of financial impact of recent recall
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Tsunami hits Mallorca and Menorca
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US organic fruit sales rise past 12%
Organic fresh produce in the US accounted for $1.25 billion dollars in sales at the end of the second quarter 2017, an 8% increase in dollars and a 10% rise in volume from the previous year, according to the Organic Produce Network (OPN).
Overall, from the previous 12-month period, sales of organic fruit were up 12.3%, while sales of organic vegetables rose 5.7%. Strong sales were buoyed by consumers’ desire to know as much about where the produce they buy comes from and how it was grown, says Matt Lally, Client Manager for Nielsen Fresh.
As for organic fresh produce sales as a whole, retail stores across the country showed dollar sales of organic fresh vegetables totalled $608 million while organic fresh fruit sales came to $425 million. Collectively, organic fresh fruits and vegetables represented nearly 10% of all produce dollars at the end of the second quarter.
The $234 million-dollar organic packaged salad category led the way in terms of sales during the second quarter this year, accounting for 19.5% of organic produce sales. The $175 million-dollar berry category grew accounted for the second highest share of organic sales and represented 14.6% of organic produce sales in the second quarter, seeing a 22.1% jump in dollars and 16.6% increase in volume compared to a year ago.
Publication date: 9/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: