Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Thai researchers develop cancer fighting mango variety
Researchers at Nare-suan University in Phitsanulok, Northern Thailand, have developed a mango that can reduce the risk of contracting certain types of cancer.
Lecturer of Faculty of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment Asst Prof. Dr. Peerasak Chaiprasart, as quoted from Asia One on Sunday (9/3/2017), explains that the Mahachanok mango is enhanced with antioxidant anthocyanin and carotenoids.
Carotenoids, found in yellow, orange and red fruits and vegetables, strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of various cancers, heart disease, cataracts and age-related macular degeneration in the retina of the eye.
Anthocyanins, which produce red, purple and blue pigments, slow cell degeneration and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke and kill pathogenic microorganisms in the gastrointestinal system.
Dr Peerasak said Mahachanok mango (Mangifera indica) - a mango hybrid Nangang Klang Wan Thai and Australia's Sunset mango - has red-purple or yellow-red skin as it matures.
The researchers found that inserting methyl jasmonate into pre-harvest mangoes produces vitamin C, glucose, fructose, sucrose and carotenoid levels.
Methyl jasmonate plus ethephon, both safe and leaving no residue, raises carotenoid levels by up to 50 percent.
Publication date: 9/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: