Job offersmore »
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe - Benelux and Scandinavia
- Grower Manager - Tuakau, New Zealand
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Laos: Banana exports drop due to tightened regulationsThe export value of bananas in Laos during the first six months (Q1 and Q2) of this year decreased compared to the same period last year and is expected to decline further.
The drop in exports comes after the government called a halt to the establishment of large scale banana plantations in a bid to prevent environmental impacts, with local authorities also taking stricter actions against banana farms.
Laos earned almost US$125 million from banana exports in Q1 and Q2 this year, while last year’s figure for the same period was over US$137.5 million, according to the Ministry of Industry and Commerce.
The ministry noted that over the past four years, the value of banana exports increased from US$61.5 million in 2013 to US$197.8 million last year.
The government is taking tougher action to regulate manufacturing plants and those that were responsible for high levels of pollution have been ordered to shut down.
Publication date: 8/28/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: