Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- World-first Panama disease-resistant Cavendish bananas developed
- Zimbabwe: Timing of general's visit to China raises questions
- NZ: AVOCO's avocado exports growing, despite some market inconsistencies
- New avocado variety to extend growing season
- Dwindling labor force in Washington fruit tree industry putting stress on production
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras: Bananas are the country's second export product
"The banana has become Honduras' second most important agricultural export, after the problems that Ecuador, which is the main producer of this fruit in the world, has faced," stated producer Hector Castro.
The boom in Honduran exports is partly due to the decrease in Ecuador's production and also because of the current increase in consumption, especially in European countries.
Hector Castro said all these factors had favored the growth of the country's banana activity, and that the increase in demand had also helped improve prices.
The national producer also said the country should establish conditions or policies for banana production.
Banana prices in Europe stand at € 18 per box, while in the United States they range from $12 to $14 dollars.
This year, the country is expected to export some 600 million dollars in bananas, a remarkable amount as the country only has 13 thousand hectares devoted to this crop.
Publication date: 8/15/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: