Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Pablo Teutsch, Avocitrus:
Spain: "Avocados have become part of a lifestyle"
"Avocados of Spanish origin recorded good sales both in the domestic market and abroad," states Pablo Teutsch. According to the representative of Avocitrus, the latest campaign has been better than the previous one and the sales volume has increased significantly. "Overall, you can see that many producers are expanding their acreage;" in fact, "many growers in the area are removing citrus crops to plant avocados," affirms Teutsch. The problem, he says, is that a tree needs at least 5 years to yield a significant production and demand is getting higher and higher.
"We are even considering the option of stocking avocados from La Axarquía in the UK or the Netherlands," says Teutsch, since the logistics issue has always been the weak point. "We know it takes 3 days for the fruit to get to England, which is our main market, so with planning, it is possible to have a presence there." This is the only way in which avocados of Spanish origin could compete with those of other origins on equal terms, since they could then be redistributed from there to other parts of Europe.
For more information:
Pablo Teutsch Ovalle
Tel.: +34 685350345
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: