Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peter Verkerk, Verkerk Potato Trading
"We hope to have higher margins in the new potato season""We hope to have higher margins in the new season than in the last one", says Peter Verkerk of Verkerk Potato Trading in 's-Gravendeel. Even though the prices were high this season, the trader says it did not go well. "It was difficult to buy potatoes and make a decent living, because the local produce was far too expensive for the export market."
According to Peter, there are many farmers who still have potatoes. "But the prices for chip potatoes is between 25-28 cents at the moment. That is less than earlier in the season when it was 30 cents. Farmers are holding out hope that they will get this price again, which will not happen. In addition, the quality of the potatoes is also declining. Abroad, there are lots of new potatoes on the market. Within two weeks we will know if Senegal is open to for our potatoes. This can mean a sale for us."
Verkerk has been delivering potatoes to exporters, wholesalers, weekly markets and shops, including their own potato shops, for forty years. "The new Dutch potatoes are selling like hot cakes. Prices are dropping and the consumers are eager for new potatoes", says Peter. Traditional varieties remain less popular, according to him. "Bintje, Frieslander, Doré, Eigenheimer and Bildstar are still favourites. Consumers do not ask for the new varieties."
For more information:
3295 KG 's-Gravendeel
Tel: + 31 (0)78-6731900
Publication date: 6/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: