Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Cold spring temperatures affect volumes of organic bananas from MexicoOrganic banana supply from Mexico is ramping up for the season. “Right now, we get our supplies for year-round programs and contract business out of Mexico and supply is moderate,” says Jose M. Roggiero of Florida-based Freshway Produce LLC. “The big season should come up probably in about a month. And while supply will start increasing consistently over the next few weeks, volumes will be tight coming from Mexico until September because of cold temperatures in February affecting current yields.”
While it sources bananas from Mexico year round, specifically from Tecoman and Colima, Freshway also turns to Ecuador for organic bananas in the fall.
Demand also increasing
Roggiero sees demand growing for organic bananas, which it supplies to the West Coast. Freshway is also hoping to target the Midwest in the future. “Better prices are stimulating consumers to be willing to pay a bit extra for organic product,” he says. “It’s a growing demand.”
Also helping demand is Freshway’s participating in the Produce Marketing Association’s Eat Brighter program, in which the packs of bananas contain PLU stickers and bands with barcodes and come complete with Sesame Street characters such as Elmo and Cookie Monster. The program is to help encourage children to eat fruits and vegetables.
Meanwhile, while demand is growing, prices will likely drop somewhat in the summer as they tend to do, Roggiero describes pricing as stable and similar to this time last year.
For more information:
Jose M. Roggiero
Freshway Produce LLC.
Tel: +1 (786) 300-4485
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: