Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Man enters chilli-eating contest. The chilli won.
- EC approves Bayer’s proposed acquisition of Monsanto
- Machinery company opens new Californian customer service facility
- China: The future of retail, premium brands and increased domestic production
- AU: Sustainability and expansion milestones for Manbulloo
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru is Latin America's largest producer of potatoes
The Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation (Minagri) stated that Peru had become the main producer of potatoes in Latin America.
Peru produces more than 4.6 million metric tons of potato, and its followed by Brazil with 3.5 million metric tons, Colombia (with 2.13 million), and Argentina (with 2 million).
Peru grows potatoes in 19 departments, in 317,000 hectares. The potato sector generates 110,000 permanent jobs and 33 million wages.
Potatoes account for 3% of the agricultural GDP, more than any other national food crop.
Peru's per capita consumption of potato has increased from 76 kilos to 86 kilos per year, and the goal is to reach the 90 kilos per year by 2021.
The potato is one of the most important foods in the fight against hunger and poverty. It is also the most consumed tuber in the world.
Globally, Peru ranks 14th in potato production. The ranking is led by India, Russia, and Ukraine.
Publication date: 5/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: