Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru is Latin America's largest producer of potatoes
The Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation (Minagri) stated that Peru had become the main producer of potatoes in Latin America.
Peru produces more than 4.6 million metric tons of potato, and its followed by Brazil with 3.5 million metric tons, Colombia (with 2.13 million), and Argentina (with 2 million).
Peru grows potatoes in 19 departments, in 317,000 hectares. The potato sector generates 110,000 permanent jobs and 33 million wages.
Potatoes account for 3% of the agricultural GDP, more than any other national food crop.
Peru's per capita consumption of potato has increased from 76 kilos to 86 kilos per year, and the goal is to reach the 90 kilos per year by 2021.
The potato is one of the most important foods in the fight against hunger and poverty. It is also the most consumed tuber in the world.
Globally, Peru ranks 14th in potato production. The ranking is led by India, Russia, and Ukraine.
Publication date: 5/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: