Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Canadian potato planting still on track after wet weatherIf the good weather from early last week had carried over into this week, Peter Griffin suggests his planting crew would have been on the land by now.
But, considering the recent spate of wet weather, the WP Griffin Inc. owner admits he’s glad his seed grain and potatoes are still indoors.
While Griffin admitted on Thursday the wet weather is a setback, he points out the timing is okay.
“I think we had a lot of rain (last year) when everybody was pretty nearly done farming,” he recalled. “So this is a good time to get rain right now.”
Griffin is optimistic planting will be well underway by late next week.
“We’re not ahead of schedule, but we’re not behind,” he said, noting the farm has some plowing done. He’s counting on some sunny days and warm nights to help warm up the soil before the first potato sets go in the ground.
Publication date: 5/16/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: