Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Top crops by growers for 2017 in the US
The American Vegetable Grower magazine asked growers about their crops as part of the 2017 State of the Vegetable Industry survey, and gained a lot of insight into which crops are most commonly grown, and how well those crops are performing.
These were the top vegetable crops reported:
- Leafy Greens
- Squash (winter)
- Other cole crops
- Sweet corn
One thing to consider when interpreting the list it is ranked by number of farmers growing each crop and not the acreage devoted to each. This may help explain why potatoes don't make the top 10 list.
The list also roughly determines which crops are the most stable this year as well. Among farmers who grow tomatoes 65% reported the crop was holding steady in 2017 which a similar figure of 67% for pepper growers.
You can find out more at growingproduce.com.
Publication date: 4/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: