Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Stands out for its high degree of internationalization
Spanish agro-food industry has best balance of trade in the EU
When looking at its economic weight and capacity to generate employment, it is clear that the Spanish food industry is an essential activity for the country's development. In fact, according to the report of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and Environment, it has consolidated as the country's main industrial activity, ahead of the automotive industry. The figures speak for themselves: 20.5% of the total net product sales (455,000 million Euro) correspond to this sector, which provides employment to more than 350,000 people in Spain.
Furthermore, the Spanish agro-food industry stands out for its high degree of internationalization. For example, 75% of the value traded by the fruit and vegetable sector is exported, mainly to countries in the EU, such as Germany, the United Kingdom, France or the Netherlands.
The value of this activity is reflected in the balance of trade of the Spanish food and beverage industry, whose surplus amounts to 11,071 million Euro, according to Eurostat, the Statistical Office of the European Union. This figure is only surpassed by the Netherlands, which has a positive balance of trade totalling 22,762 million Euro.
The export of fruit and vegetables from the Netherlands to other EU countries has increased by 11% in volume and by 12% in value in 2016. Dutch production is thus the most profitable if we take the volume produced per square metre as reference, although in absolute terms Spain continues to dominate the market with 31% of the total value marketed within the European Union.
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: