Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Frost hits European fruit and vegetable sector hard
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Brazil: The Adalgiza Avocado - new variety is officially recognized
Brazilian producers have been celebrating - the famous Adalgiza avocado, a local favourite, has been officially recognized as an avocado variety. The main differences between this variety and the Hass are: the shape of the trees, (the Adalgiza grows inside the treetop where it is better protected than the Hass avocado), the shape of the fruits, (which are more rounded), and the taste and texture (the Adalgiza is more buttery and less fibrous).
"According to a study conducted led by Dr. Mary Lu Arpaia at the University of California, the Adalgiza variety complies with practically all the characteristics that an ideal avocado should have," stated Helio Hilton Rezende, a self-employed farmer. This producer, who currently has about one hundred 12 to 15 year old plants, has already met with representatives from South Africa and California who are interested in this crop.
"The process we've had to overcome has been very long. We had to comply with many international standards and demands that are imposed when recognizing and registering a variety," Rezende said. "The next step is to look for investors to expand the cultivation of this variety to other areas and to make it better known," he added.
For more information:
Hélio Hilton Rezende
Publication date: 4/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: