Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK falling out of love with potatoesWhile potatoes have been a key part of the British diet for hundreds of years, they have experienced a bit of a decline recently. Sales have fallen by a fifth in the last ten years with a recent dive in figures being fueled by 'carb-free' diets.
In the last three years alone sales have dropped by almost 7 per cent, according to figures published in the annual Food Report by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
While potatoes are falling out of favor among consumers, they can't seem to resist potato chips however as sales of chips and crisps remained steady. The report suggests that a change in taste may also be behind the fall in sales, which would explain why the fried potato snack is holding steady.
"About four fifths of the purchases of processed potatoes were chips and crisps and these have been relatively stable over the last ten years. The reduction in recent years is driven by a decline in purchases of fresh potatoes." the report stated.
Publication date: 3/15/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: