- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Korea fastest growing market for NZ avocados
Australia continues to be the largest market for both the New Zealand industry and grower and marketer Just Avocados, typically taking between 75% to 85% of national crop each season.
The New Zealand industry delivered a record crop of just over 4.7 million export trays, well up on the previous seasons 2.5 million and close to 300,000 export trays more than the previous record harvest achieved in the 2014 season. "The volume handled by Just Avocados was also significantly over 75% greater than the prior season with a volume of around 700,000 trays exported to customers in eight different markets," according to Steve Trickett, General Manager Sales & Marketing at the company.
Just Avocados is investing in additional resources and infrastructure designed to see a progressive increase in volume over 5 years, generated from its current 15% share of industry crop up to 20%+. The acquisition and leasing of further avocado orchards combined with the expected lift in grower productivity through the additional technical transfer advice provided to supplying growers will underpin the projected growth.
"To ensure we do not become over-dependent on the Australian market, we continue to pursue new market development initiatives in a number of Asian markets, with particular focus on Japan, Korea and Thailand as well as more recent penetration into emerging markets such as Taiwan. Once access is gained into mainland China, Just Avocados will be on the front foot there exploring new niche market opportunities such as those identified in the E-Commerce space."
"In new and emerging markets particularly in North and South East Asia, there is an ongoing need to invest in consumer education around the nutritional benefits avocados offer as well as how to handle the fruit and the wide variety of ways to incorporate it into the menu," explains Steve. "Market-specific recipe development to meet different ethnic tastes and cooking styles will play a big part in that education."
"The South Korean market has demonstrated the fastest growth in recent years," according to Steve. "It gained No.2 spot after Japan in the markets served by New Zealand outside of Australia. Korean consumers are very health conscious and a significant percent of the population have good disposable incomes so are willing and able to pay the premium commanded for New Zealand origin fruit. From a supplier perspective this market is also a priority as it prefers the medium to larger sized fruit that New Zealand typically grows more of compared to other key Southern Hemisphere competitors such as Mexico."
Just Avocados is one of 12 New Zealand exporters and so a key point of difference for both grower suppliers and international customers alike is the fact they are an "avo-centric" business which is also fully integrated as a grower-packer-exporter-marketer service company able to seamlessly deliver product to the end-customer and more quickly respond to changing market dynamics.
"Just Avocados has always been a significant contributor to the drive for developing new markets and pioneering new technologies involved in serving these markets. Being internationally connected with leading players in the global fruit trade enables us to share and trial marketing ideas that work elsewhere."
For more information:
Tel: +64 7 547 6074
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/19/2018 Australia: Intensive mango planting trial at Katherine
- 09/19/2018 Ecuadorian mango campaign kicks off
- 09/19/2018 Westfalia plans EasyAvo trials outside South Africa
- 09/18/2018 Costa Rican pineapple imports thin
- 09/18/2018 North Queensland lychee season to start in late October
- 09/18/2018 Mango market undersupplied as Brazil season begins
- 09/17/2018 Oaxaca lychee growers plan to expand their production
- 09/14/2018 Diversifying global markets key to safeguarding long-term future of NZ avocado growers
- 09/13/2018 Spain: Premature kiwifruit harvest in Valencia could cause market to plunge
- 09/13/2018 China: Yunyang longans enter market early
- 09/12/2018 Mission Produce releases new 'Size Minded' merchandising program
- 09/12/2018 Chilean avocado wins over Chinese consumers
- 09/12/2018 "After the hail storms, the market could be flooded with second class kakis"
- 09/11/2018 Mexico: Authorities shut down 23 hectares of illegal avocado orchards
- 09/11/2018 Peru: Lambayeque certifies more than 28,000 tons of Hass avocado
- 09/11/2018 Mexico: Oaxaca has exported almost 6,000 tons of mango to the US
- 09/11/2018 "China: Luzhou longans sell at "cabbage prices"
- 09/11/2018 Spain: Trops improving its processing line
- 09/10/2018 Mexico: 75% of the mango has been harvested
- 09/10/2018 Costa Rica: Effects of the pineapple union strike are worrying