Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
- China: First ever large-scale domestic production of avocados to enter market in September
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Criminals hack email of shipper for Dutch importer
- Conflicting reports about Russia importing Turkish tomatoes
- AU import restrictions on certain goods to change this month
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru: Asparagus accounts for 90% of agricultural exports sent by air
According to Frio Aereo, a temporary storage company that channels 80% of airfreight exports, 90% of the total volume of agricultural exports by air are of asparagus.
In 2016, the country exported around 125,000 tons of fresh asparagus, nearly 110,000 tons of which were transported by air, said the general manager of this civil association, Armando Grados.
Blueberry exports ranked second and displaced flower exports, which traditionally occupied this position, representing 5% of the total volume shipped by air.
They were followed by flower exports (1%); peas (1%); mangoes (1%) and 19 other products that accounted for 2% of total exports.
"Asparagus is the star product in air exports. The second position was traditionally occupied by flowers, but now the blueberry has taken this position. There are new products being shipped by air, such as the pomegranate and mango, which traditionally were exported by sea," he said.
Every year, for example, the country exports about 10,000 tons of mangoes by air. "These products are finding niche markets that generate a high value, as long as they arrive at the right time. For example, one mango in Tokyo can cost up to US $ 30 or US $40," he said.
Main markets for air shipments
According to data from Frio Aereo, the US market is the biggest buyer of agricultural products, as 65% of all air shipments are destined to that country. The remaining 35% is sent to other destinations, mainly the Netherlands and Spain, but the country also makes smaller shipments to more distant destinations, such as Oceania, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and China, among other places.
There are also air shipments of other agricultural products that don't have a significant volume, such as figs, custard apples, and lemons.
"These are sent to international fairs taking place in various parts of the world, such as Fruit Logistica, for example. Recently, the country even exported fresh prawns to China in the first flight to that country," Grados said.
He also said that the intermediaries continued to be the largest importers of domestic products, but that the goal was to sell them directly to the retailers.
"I think we sold most of our products to the intermediaries but the goal must be to sell them to the retailers. To do this, we need traceability, which implies using a barcode system, information processing, and specialized software. In other words, a further professionalization of the products we export," he said.
By February 2017, Frio Aero had transported 5% more volume than in the same period last year. The goal is to continue increasing the export volume.
Publication date: 2/16/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: