Job offersmore »
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
- Category Manager – Avocado & Mango Australia
- International Buyer exotics (Spanish speaking) - Netherlands
- Entomologist Position - Leamington, Ontario, Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: New orange variety discovered in Chongqing cityRecently a new orange variety has been discovered on a Jinfo Mountain at 1,200 meters above sea level.
Oranges have been cultivated in China for over 4,000 years, and they can be dated back to the earliest discovery of the Yichang Orange in Hubei province, which is the oldest orange variety in the world. This variety mainly grows in mountains or forests, and it has witnessed the evolution of wild oranges to the luscious modern fruits that we know today. It has now been classified as a 2nd level protected wild plant.
According to Mr. Lin Maoxiang, a researcher from Yichang city's Agrophysical Research Institute, despite the fact that Yichang oranges can adapt very well to the wild, due to their low self-production levels, only a few can be found in nature. In fact there are just 200 still to be found in the Jinfo mountains.
If in the future some incurable disease was to be found in cultivated oranges, a solution could be gleaned from the genes of the Yichang oranges. At this stage, the researchers have started an investigation and research process into this newly discovered plant variety, as it could play a role in the improvement of modern orange varieties.
Source: Chongqing Daily
Publication date: 2/16/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: