Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tips to save on fruits & vegetablesEating a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables can be expensive, and the size of your family can make it even more so. Dietitian Carol Banister has some tips for families who are looking to eat healthy but also save some money.
She says eating what's in season will save you loads of money in the long run.
“Those things are expensive, and if we don't pay attention to what is seasonal, then they are going to be even more expensive,” says Banister.
When you eat what's in season you are buying produce that is in high supply, which lowers the price. Other than price the produce will taste better and will be picked at better times, preserving the nutrients. So not only do you save money but you eat healthier as well.
“When they say that to me, I frequently will ask them, when did you make that decision that I don't like vegetables, and they will say I haven't liked vegetables since I was five. So, my response to that is how many other life management decisions did you make at the age of five,” says Banister.
Nutrition specialists recommend roasting veggies, especially if you don't like them much. This limits the "stinky " smell and allows you to better control the flavor with seasoning. Healthy eating guidelines suggest making sure half of your plate is full of veggies, but be ready, if you haven't been focusing on eating healthy - it may take time to get used to it.
Publication date: 1/5/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: