Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Germany: Real continues to expand permaculture commitmentMore and more customers attach great importance to ecologically produced foods and appreciate having a range of sustainable products available at supermarkets. Accordingly, Real, as a pioneer in large-scale German food retailing, has been offering fruits and vegetables from permaculture cultivation for two years.
Permaculture is a special form of organic farming. Fruit and vegetables are cultivated in harmony with nature and follow certain principles which are said to benefit both man and nature. Depending on the season, Real customers can receive pomegranates, kumquats, oranges, avocados, onions, radishes, carrots, endives, baby spinach or lettuce - all grown using permaculture. "At the end of 2014, we started with only a few products as we wanted to start by looking at the fruit and vegetable varieties. Now, after a successful introduction, the offer is to be expanded and made known", says Patrick Müller-Sarmiento, CEO of Real.
A special Permaculture Advisory Board has now been set up, which will promote further development. "We were able to attract high-ranking experts for our permaculture commitment. This shows Real as a credible pioneer of social development, which causes customers to put more emphasis on sustainably cultivated fruit and vegetables", says Michaela Uphues, departmental director of corporate responsibility/CSR.
Members of the Permaculture Advisory Board are as follows: Dr. Immo Fiebrig, permaculture researcher at Coventry University UK, Georg Abel, CEO of Verbraucher Initiativ e.V, and UDO Gattenlöhner, agricultural engineer and managing director of the environmental organisation Global Nature Fund. The independent experts from the fields of science, consumer protection and environmental protection will support Real, not only in the promotion of permaculture, but also in helping to establish adequate standards for new permaculture suppliers and products.
Publication date: 12/23/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: