Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Goodfarmer: Strong rise in Chinese pear exportsChina is the world's largest producer of pears. Traditional production regions are Shandong, Hebei and Laoning and province. Main varieties are the Ya pear, Su pear, Golden pear, Snow pear, Crown pear and Cuiguan pear.
In recent years, total pear production has been rising. Older orchards are characterised by low planting density which resulted in lower yields, due to shortages of dwarf rootstocks in the past. In Shandong and Hebei province, old pear trees are being replaced with new, denser, plantings and on top of that total pear tree acreage is increasing. In addition, rainfall over summer has boosted the new crop.
Lu Zuoqi is the marketing director at Goodfarmer and responsible for the company’s pear exports. Next to production, exports of Chinese pears have also witnessed a sharp increase. “Favourable exchange rate and drops in pear prices have propelled exports of Chinese pears. Total pear export volumes hovered around 297,300 tons in 2014. In 2015, this number has increased to 373,100 tons. Compared to last year, current prices for Ya pear exports are expected to remain stable. Perhaps at a later stage the price will change,” according to Lu.
Goodfarmer is a prominent Chinese grower and export company. The company specialises in domestic produce such as garlic, ginger, pomelo, apples and pears. Southeast Asia is one of its largest export markets, but the company has been a Chinese pioneer, exporting to other, far-away, destinations. Since 2003 Goodfarmer has established a partnership with Dutch company, The Greenery.
“Harvest of the Ya pear and Su pear has just started. It is still too early to say how the general quality will be this year. So far, however, there do not seem to be any large discrepancies compared to last year’s crop. The new Crisp pears are looking splendid, whereas the skin of the Crown pear seems to suffer a little from rust.”
“Goodfarmer is an established company and we profit from a wide network of stable relations with whom we have been working for years. Competition on the export market is increasing. This is positive as it ensures a healthy market and export product. The market is large enough to host a number of players. We try to distinguish ourselves by brand name, quality and stability. We have three export brands: Honest Man, Goodfarmer and Jia Nong. Honest Man is our newest brand, which we launched last year. All our export products carry our brand names. As a result, consumers recognize our company and products, on the domestic market and abroad. Within China we supply pears to Walmart under the Goodfarmer brand.”
The Goodfarmer headoffice in Shandong province
For more information:
Contact number: +86 150 9836 6933
Publication date: 8/30/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: