Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Turkey aims to be cherry export world leader
Turkey is the world leader in cherry production but third in terms of exports, hence the country is also aiming to become a leader in exporting the product.
In order to increase cherry exports to the whole world, but in particular to the Far East, exporters and producers from the Aegean Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Exporters Association and the Uludag Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Exporters Association met in the important cherry producing centres of Afyon and Isparta as part of a panel called the "New Approaches to Increase Cherry Exports".
The chairman of the Ministry of Economy Export Directorate, for the Department of Agriculture, Tayfun Kilic, believes that it is possible for Turkey to become a world leader in exports and could increase them by two to three times, if the country produces the varieties and residue-free fruit that the world demands.
Orchards need renovating
Chairman of the Aegean Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Exporters Association Riza Seyyar explains that new orchards need to be established with long shelf life, durable, new cherry varieties. According to Seyyar, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock should support the creation of new orchards. Seyyar stated, ’'There is 47.5 million tons of fresh fruit and vegetable production in Turkey. 6-7 million tons are processed, 2.5-3 million tons are exported. We want to increase these exports by 3-4 times. Countries like China, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Taiwan in particular have strong buying power, as well as the EU. These are our new target markets. We are aiming for the right varieties, chemicals and harvesting.’’
Uludag Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Exporters Association chairman Senih Yazgan underlined that it is not possible to meet the expectations of the new markets with the current varieties being grown.
Turkey produces 535,000 tons of cherries
Turkey takes first place in the world with 535,000 tons of cherries produced. The USA follows with 345,000 tons. China is next with 220,000 tons. The USA is first for exports, exporting 85,000 tons, Chile is second with 80,000 tons and Turkey occupies third place with 69,000 tons.
Turkey’s cherry exports earned 122 million dollars in 2015. Russia was the biggest market, with 22 million dollars. Germany was second with 18 million dollars and Iraq was third with 14.5 million dollars.
Publication date: 4/25/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: