Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Christmas sprout supply escapes strom damageThe border region on the east coast of Scotland got off lucky last weekend as storm Desmond battered the UK. Kenny Blair, Sales and Operations at Drysdales, the biggest producer in the area, said they were left pretty much unscathed.
"We got off lucky this time. Our Brussels sprout harvesting is right next to the sea at this time of the year, so we are not greatly affected by the frost over the Christmas period," explained Blair.
In general the growing conditions around Berwickshire and the borders where Drysdales do most most of their growing have been favourable to those further south.
"Drysdales sprouts are looking very good this year, however as with everyone else, the sprouts are looking bolder than normal, but it has not been as mild and wet here as in Lincolnshire," according to Blair.
Although Drysdales supplies sprouts year round from around 900 acres of land, more is sold in the week before Christmas than at any other time of the year, 1500 tonnes are sold in December, 500 of that in the week before Christmas.
"In general peeled sprouts are becoming more popular, but in the run up to Christmas the people who buy in that last week are one time a year buyers and are just looking for a big bag of sprouts," says Blair.
For more information:
Tel: +44 1368 830 448
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: