Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- “Increased availability will boost US lemon consumption”
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Christmas sprout supply escapes strom damageThe border region on the east coast of Scotland got off lucky last weekend as storm Desmond battered the UK. Kenny Blair, Sales and Operations at Drysdales, the biggest producer in the area, said they were left pretty much unscathed.
"We got off lucky this time. Our Brussels sprout harvesting is right next to the sea at this time of the year, so we are not greatly affected by the frost over the Christmas period," explained Blair.
In general the growing conditions around Berwickshire and the borders where Drysdales do most most of their growing have been favourable to those further south.
"Drysdales sprouts are looking very good this year, however as with everyone else, the sprouts are looking bolder than normal, but it has not been as mild and wet here as in Lincolnshire," according to Blair.
Although Drysdales supplies sprouts year round from around 900 acres of land, more is sold in the week before Christmas than at any other time of the year, 1500 tonnes are sold in December, 500 of that in the week before Christmas.
"In general peeled sprouts are becoming more popular, but in the run up to Christmas the people who buy in that last week are one time a year buyers and are just looking for a big bag of sprouts," says Blair.
For more information:
Tel: +44 1368 830 448
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: