Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Maglio finalist for best new packaging at PMA Fresh Summit
Earlier this year, Maglio Companies won the Best New Packaging award for its readyripe Watermelon Pouch/bag at the United Fresh show in Chicago. Now, the company is a finalist again for the award at the PMA Fresh Summit.
Idea developed internally
“The idea for the packaging was initiated when I attempted to buy a quarter slice of melon that turned out to be wet, sticky and it started to degrade,” says Sam Maglio with Maglio Companies. “I sent a challenge out to our leadership team to find a solution and within seven days we had a concept drawing. That’s when the R&D work began.”
The readyripe solution provides a safe and sanitary packaging option which also extends shelf-life from the traditional overwrap’s two days all the way out to ten days. “We eliminate the problem of wet, sticky packages and grocer’s shelves while providing the consumer with a container to use (and reuse) at home,” added Maglio.
Currently, there are 600+ retail stores in the central region of the US that are carrying the product. “Throughout the country, but also across the border all the way into Australia, pilot programs are running,” said Maglio. “The results that are available from these programs validate the value proposition for all stakeholders.” The product is being refined for specific customers with private labeling requests and for different distribution options.
The Fresh Summit is an important show for Maglio Companies. “As we develop and refine our Specialty Retail Products, currently the readyripe Watermelon Pouch/bag and the Beer Lime, we rely on guidance from people in the industry who are closer to the consumer,” declared Maglio. “We are problem solvers and solutions providers and being in that position, working with numerous sources for input and feedback is key.”
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: