Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Compatible with integrated production and organic crops
Spain: New solution against fruit fly pests
"The problem with fruit flies is that they cause damage once the fruit is already ripe and ready to be harvested, and pesticides leave residues which can be harmful for consumers. Just by catching the fly before it bites the fruit we prevent the damage and the need to apply pesticides," explains Jordi Roig, manager of Probodelt.
CONETRAP is designed for the mass capture and monitoring of flies, specifically for fruit flies by means of solid attractants. In this sense, control of the Mediterranean fly Ceratitis capitata is being particularly effective.
It consists of:
• Transparent lid with incorporated hanger made out of plastic. This part incorporates small amounts of pesticide on the inside. It weighs 17 grams.
• Conic base. This is a flexible plastic piece, shaped like a cone and with four side entrances. It weighs 24 grams.
The trap is sold in separate sheets to facilitate its transport and be assembled directly in the plantation at a tested speed of 6 traps per minute. "It is a very thin sheet which, once folded, forms the conical base, which only needs the lid for the trap to be complete. It is designed for a single use because of its low price and amount of material used. This prevents storage and processing costs," affirms Jordi.
By using a specific attractant and placing the pesticide on the inside of the trap, it only tackles the flies going in, preventing any contact with the environment.
"Therefore, CONETRAP has been approved for its use in integrated production and organic crops. The product has been launched this year and is already available in Spain's main horticultural production regions. Its rapid popularity is due, in part, to the restrictions that the EU introduced for the use of pesticides."
Probodelt has already started the internationalisation process and is gaining presence in the Australian market, which, just like the EU, has been limiting the use of pesticides for the past seven years.
Publication date: 11/22/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: