Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "US agriculture has failed to benefit from the Korean Free Trade Agreement"
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Photo report New York Produce show
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ukraine: New vegetable storage facility opens in Kirovograd regionAccording to Ukraine's Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food, the active construction of new modern vegetable storage facilities has ensured the stable prices for vegetable products in winter, increased its exports and reduced dependence of Ukraine on imports, the Information-analytical Bulletin of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine informs.
In Podlesnoye village, Kirovograd region, a vegetable storage designed for 10,000 tons of agricultural products was commissioned. The storage is equipped with modern temperature and humidity controls for long-term storage of fruit and vegetables without use of any chemicals.
Most of the potatoes, onions, beets and carrots stored here are delivered from other regions of Ukraine and from abroad; however, since next year, local farmers are planning to start production of own vegetables, as well as manufacture of semi-finished products and vegetable mixes, in Podlesnoye village, Kirovograd region.
AIC experts note that vegetable storage in Podlesnoye village is one of the largest and most advanced ones, not just in the region, but in Ukraine as well. For residents of the village, it means new jobs with decent payment.
"Government is actively supporting construction of modern and high-tech vegetable storages. If in 2010, we had storages with total capacity of 766,000 tons, in 2011-2012, we built 104 vegetable storages with total capacity of 492,000 tons. And, according to State program for active development of economy 2013-2014, it is planned to build another 16 powerful refrigerators with 140,000 tons capacity for storage of fruit, berries, and grapes," Myola Prisyazhnyuk, Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine, said.
Expert say due to better marketable state of products from new vegetable storages, Ukraine last year began actively exploring foreign agricultural markets. Exports of vegetables and fruits were increased 20%, while imports were down 40%.
Ukrainian vegetables are most popular with our closest neighbors – Russia, Moldova, Georgia, and Belarus. Also, Ukrainian exports of agricultural products are growing. For example, in 2011, export of onions amounted to 2,700 tons, and in 2012 – 19,200 tons. Exports of cabbage in 2012 increased in five times from 2011.
Government analysts say over the past two years Ukraine has commissioned 63 vegetable storages with total capacity nearly 110,000 tons for storage of potatoes, vegetables, and fruit. Their actual capacity is 2.9 million tons. This year, the country is simultaneously building 104 vegetable storages. And some of them have been actually put into operation.
Publication date: 10/25/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: