Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Migros begins major offensive in organic market
The Swiss retailer Migros revealed plans to open up to 30 new stores of bio chain 'Alnatura'. Chief Executive Herbert Bolliger also announced his plan to offer cheaper branded goods in the future, reports Swiss newspaper 'Tages-Anzeiger'.
Migros wants to buy branded goods directly from abroad instead of through official importers and take advantage of lower prices. In an interview with newspaper 'NZZ am Sonntag', Bolliger asked for support for this policy. "A change in purchasing would be a positive move for consumer interests." However he is sceptical that barriers in purchasing abroad will be lifted. "Indeed Promarca, the association of brand product suppliers, will soon not be happy with a waiver of exclusive national distribution rights."
"Migros will expand in the future, especially in selling organic products. Last year the company in Zurich opened the first Swiss branch of organic supermarket chain Alnatura, and that's just the beginning! There are concrete plans to expand the number of organic stores," said Bolliger. "We think 20 to 30 new Alnatura stores in Switzerland." According to the group chief, in 2012 the Migros turnover of organic products grew by almost 9 percent.
Stores will offer about 5,000 products consisting of its own brands Alnatura, biological products Migros and other items such as cosmetics and fruit and vegetables which have been organically farmed.
Publication date: 9/13/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: