Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
A Winter taste of Summer
Imported USA Stone fruit available for the first time in AustraliaFollowing approval of a protocol in Australia, Fresh Produce Group have secured the rights to import stone fruit from California for the first time ever.
This will be the first time shoppers in Australia will be able to buy peaches and nectarines in the winter period when they are out of season locally and can’t be grown.
The approval couldn’t have come at a better time for Australian consumers with the fruit from California being in peak season with exceptional eating quality and appearance.
The approval of the Australian protocol follows extensive ongoing work by FPG for over 6 years, “We have worked closely with the relevant stakeholders in the US and Australia in getting this approved, using selected grower partners we know can deliver” - Gerome Raco, Commercial Director - Fruit FPG pioneered the import of fresh fruit to Australia so are well placed to manage the processes involved: “We have a history of making difficult protocols work through well managed air freight programmes to give customers more choice and variety” - Robert Nugan, CEO, FPG
Sales boost for retailers
Retailers will welcome the opportunity to create excitement in their produce departments and boost sales with this high quality fruit that is traditionally not available during Winter.
The Stone Fruit market in Australia is estimated to be worth around $400 million annually with peaches and nectarines representing about half of that figure.
Stores should be relishing the chance to drive impulse sales for the late winter months with estimated sales uplifts of between $3-4k a week being achievable (depending on store size and footfall).
USA stone fruit will be available until mid-October. The first domestically grown crops are likely to be available again by then and FPG will focus it’s efforts back on the local supply to meet customer demand.
Publication date: 7/29/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: