Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico: Banana production affected by the black sigatoka
Some of the largest banana producers in San Bartolo (Mexico) said the rains led to the proliferation of black sigatoka fungus in much of the production.
The rains make this fungus a very aggressive disease on terms of production and can cause economic losses of up to 50 and 80%. In extreme cases, it can cause total losses. The black sigatoka is caused by Mycosphaerella fijiensis fungus, which dries the plant's leaves, stopping the production of banana or resulting in bad quality that can't be sold.
The producer said that the banana producers should look for alternatives so they wouldn't be affected by the black sigatoka, because it is very difficult to eradicate once the plant's leaves are affected. The farmers who do not have resources or enough government support to recover will be the most affected.
Currently, there are 523 active producers of bananas, and all have been affected by the black sigatoka.
Publication date: 6/28/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: