Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Something different, but still British grownFresh Direct started off as a fruit and veg supplier, but these days the company has become much, much more. They still supply fruit and veg but as well as having a group of growers who provide it, they chop it and they cook it.
The business now boasts 200 refrigerated trucks, trailers and vans and a team of 1000 people handling 3000 tons of fruit and vegetables every week. One aspect of the company is FreshGro, "We started FreshGro after we were approached by disillusioned growers who found it difficult to enter the food service trade and were too small to be able to supply the supermarkets and were seeing a decline in the wholesale trade," explains David Burns, Managing Director.
Fresh Direct collaborate with the growers, providing the agronomy and technology and also the expertise of knowing what the market demands and which crops to grow. Burns explains that main aim of this part of the business is the high end products, the ones that you would not expect to source from the UK. These types of products are very popular with new up and coming brands who want something different but still British grown.
Another part of the business, a part which has seen very encouraging growth in recent years is FreshPrep. This was established two years ago, to complete the field to fork process within the company. FreshPrep is situated at the company's headquarters in Bicester, England. "This service is becoming very popular especially with fast growing top restaurant chains in places like London, these places work with the minimum of space, are very conscious of their footprint and need to ensure consistency in each restaurant. They are also looking for something different to create unique dishes."
By using Fresh Direct the food service companies can rely on hygiene, don't need to worry about getting rid of the waste and get consistency while also getting produce which is a bit more than run of the mill.
The Kitchen is the part of the company which adds the most value to the fruit and vegetables. Here the fruit and vegetables are turned into soups, sauces, pastas, char grilled and marinaded.
For more information:
Tel: 0044 1869 365600
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: