Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber
'High demand and attractive market prices'

Southern cherry campaign concludes quite favorably

The recent campaign for southern cherries has concluded successfully. The campaign's success is reflected in the high demand and attractive market prices. China remains the predominant market, receiving over 90% of the southern hemisphere's cherry exports. The fruit symbolizes happiness, fortune, and prosperity in China, especially during the New Year celebrations, leading to significant shipments from Chile to China in the weeks preceding the event. This year, a record 380,000 tons of cherries were exported to China, doubling the volume in under five years and reaffirming China's crucial role in the industry's dynamics.

The United States emerged as the second-largest market, with approximately 17,000 tons of cherries imported. Efforts are underway to encourage U.S. consumers to consider cherries as a winter fruit option, beyond the traditional end-of-year demand.

Growth potential is also identified in the Far East, Central, and Southeast Asia, with countries like South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and India increasing their import volumes, influenced by Chinese cultural associations and the presence of Chinese communities. In contrast, Europe and Latin America show slower progress, with cherries primarily consumed during the holiday season and minimal sales outside this period, mainly to the gastronomy sector.

Chile stands out as the leading exporter, contributing 95% of the southern hemisphere's cherries, with Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa sharing the remaining 5%. Argentina, in particular, reported a record export of 7,200 tons, marking a 50% increase from previous years.


Publication date: