M&S apologises for daffodil display due to danger of plant-based poisoning

Supermarket chain Marks and Spencer has apologized after placing daffodils and spring onions next to each other on a food display. The display caused concern among customers who warned people could mistakenly eat the daffodils; eating daffodils can lead to symptoms like vomiting and diarrhoea.

For some, it might be easy to confuse them with members of the onion family, which could effectively lead to plant-based poisoning. Daffodils are the single most common cause of plant-based poisoning as people mistake their bulbs (even cut flower buds) for crops in the onion family.

The display will now be changed. In a statement, Marks and Spencer apologized to customers and will now ensure displays do not repeat this mistake.

Source: express.co.uk

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.