- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- Citrus, avocado and grape importer announces new warehouse expansion
- More flooding expected in Orange River region
- "We want to minimize the impact of chilling damage on avocado quality"
- New cherry varieties shows promise to make Chilean season even earlier
- Demand for pomegranates triples at Christmas
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
China kiwifruit prices take hit
“We are approaching the end of the kiwi season. Looking back, the harvest has been good this season, but sales not so. The Chinese fruit market has been hit by the global economic downturn over the summer. The average kiwi wholesale price is about 20% lower than last year. Our kiwi season begins in August and runs until November. This is one month earlier than in other regions in China, where the season starts in September. Where we are based in Pujiang in Sichuan Province there is considerable rainfall throughout the year. This speeds up the production”, according to Mr. Zhang of Pujiang Hongyuan Kiwi Orchard.
Kiwifruit at the Pujian Hongyuan Kiwi Orchard is wrapped in bags to protect against weather conditions during the last stages of ripening
“Usually we get our best sales prices in August. However, this season, our August sales prices were 15% lower compared to the previous year. In August we received a wholesale price of 3,1 Yuan for 0,5 kg, which is little. When kiwifruit from other region entered the market, prices slit down even further. I think there is little change prices will go up towards the end of the season. There are a multitude of factors that have negatively this year's season. One of the reasons is oversupply. I estimate that in the whole of China, kiwi acreage has tripled or quadrupled over the last three years. Sales prices do relate to the global market. If the global market recovers, I believe the price of kiwifruit will recover too.”
“Pujiang County in Sichuan Province is famous for its kiwifruit production. The local climate favours an early harvest, which gives us a competitive advantage. We sell our kiwi's to wholesale markets in Beijing, Shanghai and Zhejiang. We cooperate with a number of logistic companies for cooled transport. Per season we produce around 950 tons of kiwifruit,” concludes Mr. Zhang.
Sichuan Province in China
For more information:
Pujiang Hongyuan Kiwi Orchard
Contact number: +8615882393448+8615882393448
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-01 2022 was a successful export year for Vietnam
- 2022-12-01 "If avocados are shipped today from the Canary Islands to Iceland, tomorrow the customer has it in the market"
- 2022-12-01 California sees better 2022 pomegranate crop with ample small sized fruit
- 2022-12-01 Tropical fruit grower adds Oro pineapples to product line up
- 2022-12-01 "Pink pineapple is a unique high-end Costa Rican product that reaches most exclusive markets in the world"
- 2022-12-01 "After a tough year, physalis and passion fruit sales now getting into the Christmas flow"
- 2022-12-01 Fruit inspection point at Mohan Station expected to open on December 3
- 2022-12-01 "Our sights are already set on Peru's kaki campaign"
- 2022-12-01 "There is a massive amount of pineapples that will be ready to harvest in February across the industry"
- 2022-12-01 Pineapple market could gain strength in near future
- 2022-11-30 Dragon fruit catches on with Anantapur district growers
- 2022-11-30 ‘Poor-quality durians on Shanghai roadside do not come from Thailand’
- 2022-11-30 Which countries consume the most avocado in Europe?
- 2022-11-30 "We want to minimize the impact of chilling damage on avocado quality"
- 2022-11-30 The first batch of Vietnamese passion fruit imported into China from Guangxi Friendship Customs
- 2022-11-30 Demand for pomegranates triples at Christmas
- 2022-11-30 Luc Ngan lychee geographical indication protection proves profitable
- 2022-11-29 "The challenge for the sector of making kakis profitable is as current as ever"
- 2022-11-29 "The demand for Canary papayas has been especially high until a couple of weeks ago"
- 2022-11-29 Avocados Australia looks at export markets as growers brace for another oversupply situation