- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
Washington Apples and T-Mall kick off Global Shopping Festival
Washington apples were the only imported fresh fruit showcased at the event, which featured Alibaba Group Chairman Jack Ma sampling Washington apples and generating extensive coverage in traditional and social media. 11.11 is “Singles Day” in China, and is the Chinese version of the U.S. “Black Friday/Cyber Monday” shopping phenomenon. Last year Alibaba e-commerce sites (including T-Mall) generated over 56 billion RMB (US$ 9 billion) over the 24 hour shopping period.
Traceability is the focus of the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival promotion, which highlights the T-Mall “Blue Star Program”. By scanning the QR code on the specially packaged Washington apples, consumers are able to trace the apple back to the orchard where they were grown in Washington State. “With Chinese consumers increasingly concerned with food safety, this type of program provides consumers with assurance that they are buying genuine Washington apples,” stated Washington Apple Commission President, Todd Fryhover.
Washington State Governor Jay Inslee, US Consul General (Guangzhou) Charles Bennet and Agricultural Trade Office Shanghai Director Valerie Brown all expressed their support of the Washington Apple/T-Mall promotion. The promotion features specially packaged Washington apples on the T-Mall site, along with information about Washington apple growing and packing processes. T- Mall reaches up to 350 million consumers through their sales platforms.
The middle-class population in China is expected to reach 500 million in the near future and apples are one of the most popular fruits in China, with a category growth rate above 6% annually. During the 2014-15 apple season which ended August 31, approximately 3.1 million 40-lb cartons of Washington apples, worth over $53 million, ended up in China, either directly or through transshipment.
Historically one-third of the Washington apple crop is exported to over 60 different countries. WAC is a grower-funded organization charged with promoting the Washington brand in international markets.
For more information on the Washington apple industry and Washington Apple Commission, please visit www.bestapples.com.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-28 South African early table grape export volumes trending lower than last season
- 2022-11-28 US cranberry harvest expected to be 5 percent larger in 2022
- 2022-11-28 Almost 60 percent crop increase on Ontario Honeycrisp this season
- 2022-11-28 Jazz launch apple campaign 2022-2023
- 2022-11-28 "The energy market's uncertain, so there's more weekly strawberry sales rather than fixed prices"
- 2022-11-28 Chile strives to maintain position in cherry exports
- 2022-11-28 Blackberries and raspberries know no crisis
- 2022-11-28 18 grapes sold at €30 in Japan
- 2022-11-28 Wholesale prices for “Moldova” grapes of 2022 harvest are unlikely to further grow
- 2022-11-28 The new yellow apple returns to the European market
- 2022-11-25 Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
- 2022-11-25 The transporter's strike puts in check the transport of 25,000 tons of cherries in Chile
- 2022-11-25 New Zealand apple sales in China increase steadily every year
- 2022-11-25 Peruvian blueberry prices on world market lower despite 28% export growth
- 2022-11-25 Volume reduction of Chilean fresh blueberry exports less than projected
- 2022-11-25 Cape Town terminal exceeds weekly volumes as deciduous fruit season starts
- 2022-11-25 Chilean blueberries, a superfood consolidating in the world
- 2022-11-25 Joy Wing Mau celebrates first arrival of Chilean cherries by air
- 2022-11-25 Which will be the first Spanish supermarket chain to charge more for its apples?
- 2022-11-25 California Prune Board welcomes 0% tariffs on prune imports into the UK