- UK & IRL Avocado Trader
- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
Top 5 -yesterday
- Fruit tasting for terminal workers at Port of Cape Town
- How a New Zealand businessman established a successful cherry orchard from scratch by focusing on a niche
- Uncertainty ahead of Israeli citrus season
- New Zealand growers pulling out all the stops to attract workers
- “In Greece, we face increases up to 110-120% in our electricity bills”
Top 5 -last week
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- South African orange shipment reveals R75 million worth of cocaine
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- “Laser micro-perforated bags extend bananas' shelf life by three weeks”
- Blueberries will be the main focus at the next Macfrut
Top 5 -last month
hope for higher prices for healty clusters
Italy: Significant damage to seeded grapes 'Italia'
"Outstanding amounts were found on all varieties of grapes produced, as well as perfect organoleptic quality, helped by favorable climatic conditions. Markets, however, have been up and down, without any programming in supplies and prices almost always unstable."
"Finally it seemed to be the perfect time for our Apulian grapes since the production of Sicilian grapes had suffered severe damage from persistent rain and humidity. Moreover, we recorded a delay in the market for grapes from South Africa, Chile, Peru. So we hoped it was preparing an optimal continuation of the late sales of our products. Suddenly, alas, even in our production areas of Bari, Taranto and Foggia, the same climatic conditions as in Sicily occurred!"
As stated by Teresa the rains, and especially the humidity, allowed the proliferation of the fungus Botrytis, that in a short time caused the loss of several tons of grapes still to be harvested, in particular the famous and appreciated seeded variety 'Italia'.
"The damage was significant, many tons have been lost and a lot has been rejected by supermarkets," said Teresa. Fortunately, there are still lots of healthy products in the fields, whose quality remains very high. It should remain so for some time, fueled by the mistral winds that finally blow. Many tons of grapes are also stored in the cold storage of many companies."
In conclusion, Teresa hopes that these conditions favor an increase in prices for those "healthy" grapes that are going to market in the next few days, given the amount of product lost and the upcoming holiday season, no family would forego brining a nice bunch of grapes from Apulia to the table!
Viale del Commercio lotto 17-19
70018 Rutigliano (BA) - Italy
Phone: +39 0804761325
Fax: +39 0804725731
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 Late Lunar New Year offers opportunity to expose brand to a lot of potential new customers
- 2022-12-08 Novel eating experiences from Israel’s Eden Gold pear, watermelon plum and plumegranate
- 2022-12-08 Only half of apple packs in major UK supermarkets are British
- 2022-12-08 'Grape imports from Peru became more important'
- 2022-12-08 Which state leads cranberry production?
- 2022-12-08 Mexico and Peru became top berry producers in just 10 years
- 2022-12-08 New hydrogel that delays fruit rot invented by Chilean researcher
- 2022-12-08 Watermelons harvest advanced due to rain in Bahia, Brazil
- 2022-12-08 "Varietal quality not yet aligned with optimal double production of raspberries"
- 2022-12-08 Moldova: Low stocks of export grapes in early 2023
- 2022-12-08 Limited crop of Winter Honeydew melons available early January
- 2022-12-08 Friday marks the first National Opal® Apples Day
- 2022-12-08 Stone fruit quality recovering after weather affected start to the season
- 2022-12-08 Smallest Washington apple crop in more than 20 years
- 2022-12-07 "Drought resulted in 40% less yield of Moldovan apples overall"
- 2022-12-07 Moroccan raspberries meet a flat demand
- 2022-12-07 Total volume of grapes in storage well down on last year
- 2022-12-07 Blueberry production progressing in Brazil
- 2022-12-07 “We’re looking at potential buyers in Asia and Africa”
- 2022-12-07 “In Greece, we face increases up to 110-120% in our electricity bills”