- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
South Africa: Netherlands Embassy supports Undercover Farming Expo 2013
The event, to be held at the Saint George Hotel & Convention Centre in Irene, Pretoria, from 5 to 7 March 2013, focuses on the horticulture industry, one of the Top Sectors identified by the Dutch government for internationalisation.
The momentum built at the 2012 expo has been harnessed by the Dutch horticulture sector in the form of two business missions (from The Netherlands to South Africa) that have paved the way towards a horticulture business platform, a forum that sees South African and Dutch horticulture stakeholders – public, private and otherwise – cooperate to the benefit of both South Africa and The Netherlands.
The Embassy has issued a release saying, "Food security and job creation are integral objectives of South Africa’s agricultural policy, and it is no secret that investments have to be made towards more efficient production techniques and skills development; the South African agricultural environment demands these. Limited resources such as productive land and water are a challenging reality in the country. Comparatively, The Netherlands has similar limitations (albeit excess, in terms of water) and they have learned to manage both resources well, to become a world leader in agriculture. There are other examples around the world (in Africa particularly) where Dutch knowledge in horticulture is propelling local vegetable and flower production to sustainable levels, and the Kingdom of The Netherlands would like to offer the expertise of the Dutch horticulture sector to South Africa too.
"On the other hand it has to be acknowledged that South Africa is an emerging market that continues to offer returns to investors, thanks to the growing middle income group. Protected horticulture has something for every consumer, from fresh healthy food for all, through new varieties and exotic vegetables, to pharmaceutical ingredients and ornamentals for specialised markets.
"In South Africa’s variable climate and the creeping realities of climate change, The Netherlands believes that undercover farming is sustainable horticulture. And to put their money where their mouths are, The Netherlands Embassy will host a Dutch pavilion at the expo where business-to-business interaction can be conducted. The Embassy will also host internationally acclaimed Dutch experts as speakers at the expo’s conference, and will host a Dutch Reception during the expo."
For more information:
Office of the Agricultural Counsellor
Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in South Africa
Tel: +27 (0) 12 425 4570
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Webinar: Opportunities for horticulture in Algeria and Egypt
- 2022-11-23 Looking ahead to the Organic Grower Summit 2022
- 2022-11-22 EPC Leadership Class to attend Cornell program at New York Produce Show
- 2022-11-21 Date grower-shipper brings latest products to New York Produce Show
- 2022-11-21 Pulsed Electric Field (PEF) systems for large, peeled and unpeeled potatoes
- 2022-11-21 “Water, energy and food sovereignty at the heart of medFEL 2023”
- 2022-11-18 Engels Machines at the ExpoSE 2022 fair in Karlsruhe, Germany
- 2022-11-16 "Focus on the future of horticulture" defining theme of IPM Essen
- 2022-11-16 Mini symposium on grape quality to take place on the 2nd of December
- 2022-11-16 Creating value with less: a hot theme at Global Berry Congress 2022
- 2022-11-14 Mushroom Days will be from May 10 to 12, 2023
- 2022-11-14 Salobrena will host the First Andalusian Subtropical Fair
- 2022-11-11 Morocco Foodex aims to conquer the British market
- 2022-11-11 New trends, innovations, and chain take center stage at Global Berry Congress
- 2022-11-07 Photo report Asia Fruit Logistica 2022
- 2022-11-04 Bolivia for the World business meetings 8-25 November 2022
- 2022-11-04 Ecuador is making moves to become more competitive in Asia
- 2022-11-04 Innovations and trends at IFPA
- 2022-11-04 International Agroferomonas and Biological Control Days
- 2022-11-04 German Ports at transport logistic Americas