- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
- Operations Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
PH promotes bananas to Australia
“It is a continuing effort to push for our banana exports to Australia,” said DTI undersecretary Cristino L. Panlilio. After banning the entry of bananas, Australia opened its market in 2009 but with very stringent rules that still effectively ban the entry of imported bananas. Panlilio, however, said that the banana issue will not be part of the trade agenda during President’s visit.
Panlilio said that during the height of the difficulties of the banana sector to export to China, the country’s second biggest banana market, the Philippines tried to offer bananas to Australia but it rejected the offer.
Senen M. Perlada, executive director of the Bureau of Export and Trade Promotion of DTI, said that one of these non-tariff measures, mostly SPS and some technical protocols, is Australia’s requirement that banana fruits should come from banana trees with 8 leaves each. Other countries allowed banana fruits to come from trees with five leaves only.
Australia, which also grows bananas, has been very protective of its agriculture industry.
“Australia is very strict, we can export if we can pass their very stringent requirements,” he said.
Panlilio said the government is now working for direct exports to the Middle East countries like Iran and Iraq, which banana requirements are being served by the Philippines indirectly through Dubai.
Exports to the Middle East countries are being hampered by the different banking procedures thus, exports have to pass through Dubai, Panlilio said.
At present, Cavendish bananas, the variety that is most exported, is still classified under the exclusion list of imports by most countries, if not all of the country’s trading partners. As such, banana imports carry tariff rates ranging from 10 to 40 percent. The Philippines ranks second to Ecuador as the world’s top banana exporters.
The Pilipino Banana Growers & Exporters Association Inc. (PBGEA), the umbrella organization of 33 banana-exporting companies in 11 provinces in Mindanao, cited a report from Ecuador that it has also penetrated the Philippines’ traditional banana export market. The Ecuador report noted that its exports to South Korea increased three-folds in 2010. The Philippines is the biggest supplier of bananas to South Korea.
Among the new markets being eyed for Philippine bananas include Russia and Scandinavian countries, he said. Other prospective export market for Philippine bananas include Canada, Middle East and other ASEAN countries.
China is the second largest market of Philippine bananas. The Philippines supplies 91 percent of the China banana market.
Last year, the Philippines exported a total of $366.68 million of bananas to China, supplying 91.36 percent of its total banana requirements.
To date, Japan is the country’s biggest export market for bananas where the Philippines supplies 90 percent of the Japanese requirement followed by the China and the US.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-02 New banana varieties set to provide Aussie consumers with greater choice in the future
- 2022-12-02 Banana growers Ben and Matt Abbott recognised with a Reef Champion Award
- 2022-12-02 “Laser micro-perforated bags extend bananas' shelf life by three weeks”
- 2022-12-01 Pakistan only contributes 0.5% to international banana market
- 2022-12-01 Growers laud Taiwan for Banana Revitalisation Project
- 2022-12-01 Bangladesh: Tk 85.5 mln worth of gold dug up in banana orchard
- 2022-11-30 The price of Vietnamese bananas doubles after Chinese market opens
- 2022-11-30 Ecuador exported 34.1 million fewer boxes of bananas up to October 2022
- 2022-11-30 Pakistan: Banana growers enthusiastic about cooperation with Chinese researchers
- 2022-11-29 JP Farms to take legal action against fake 'Jamaican bananas' found in Canada
- 2022-11-29 ACIAR launches project to prevent spread of Fusarium wilt in bananas
- 2022-11-29 Bananas from Belize at £0.88
- 2022-11-29 Deliveroo: Bananas were most-ordered takeaway dish of 2022 in Manchester
- 2022-11-28 EU saw 4.228.169 tons of bananas being supplied in 2021
- 2022-11-28 Ghana: Kpong Left Bank Irrigation Project sets up banana plantation
- 2022-11-25 Politician files Bill intent on revitalizing and strengthening banana industry
- 2022-11-24 Banana consumption in Uzbekistan is increasing fast
- 2022-11-24 Growers are focusing on boosting banana production
- 2022-11-23 Russia-Latin America shipping negotiations focus on banana supplies
- 2022-11-22 Researchers discover a repellent compound against the banana black weevil