- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
Apple harvest with historically late end
Schuback is surprisingly satisfied with his trees' yields this year. Even if the harvest turns out smaller than in record year 2014, the apple farmers by the Lower Elbe will still have an average to good harvest, contrary to the pessimistic expectations. Growers and marketers eagerly await the exact numbers. Schuback explains that the pessimistic preliminary harvest estimate has had a positive effect on the prices: "The price is good considering the quantity, especially compared to last year. Back then we sold our products for less than the production costs." From this point of view, also take note of the reports of drastic price increases. Schuback clarifies: "However, the apple prices are not above average this year, they were simply unusually bad last year due to the record harvest. Now they have normalized again."
The region by the Lower Elbe, the Alte Land, as well as the less known Kehdinger Land, are the nation's harvest basket. A third of German apples is grown here. To this end, a special infrastructure with marketing and consulting has been developed. The fruit growing region in the districts of Stade, Harburg and Cuxhaven encompasses over 8,000 hectares. Another 500 hectares of fruit growing area are divided across all of Lower Saxony. Crucial to this region's success is its constant further development. The agriculturalists invest in new species, new trees, marketing and tourism to make their apple farms competitive. Schuback has chosen the species Elstar, Gala, Rubens, Kanzi, Red Prince, Roter Boskop and Braeburn. "Elstar is very popular on the German market, Red Prince and Braeburn go more into export, Braeburn especially to England", he says.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Aartsen: "Our branding key to growth in Asia"
- 2022-11-25 “Triple jumbo code” cherries kick off the Chilean crop
- 2022-11-25 Seven pear varieties tie for first place in consumer trial
- 2022-11-25 Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
- 2022-11-25 The transporter's strike puts in check the transport of 25,000 tons of cherries in Chile
- 2022-11-25 New Zealand apple sales in China increase steadily every year
- 2022-11-25 Peruvian blueberry prices on world market lower despite 28% export growth
- 2022-11-25 Volume reduction of Chilean fresh blueberry exports less than projected
- 2022-11-25 Cape Town terminal exceeds weekly volumes as deciduous fruit season starts
- 2022-11-25 Chilean blueberries, a superfood consolidating in the world
- 2022-11-25 Joy Wing Mau celebrates first arrival of Chilean cherries by air
- 2022-11-25 Which will be the first Spanish supermarket chain to charge more for its apples?
- 2022-11-25 California Prune Board welcomes 0% tariffs on prune imports into the UK
- 2022-11-24 New Moroccan fruit exporters enter the European market
- 2022-11-24 Blackberries having a good year so far
- 2022-11-24 BC Tree Fruit growers force meeting over Lake Country plant closure
- 2022-11-24 Chilean cherry arrivals timed for early Chinese New Year's celebration
- 2022-11-24 Moldovan power outage had no severe impact on fruit packing operations
- 2022-11-24 "Quickly selling Gala and Golden Delicious could be good for stored apples like Jonagold"
- 2022-11-24 "Chinese cranberry production continues to increase"