Apples most important fruit in Germany

Germany - Of all kinds of top fruit grown in Germany apples remain the most popular.
From figures published by the German Bureau of Statistics it appears that two thirds (70%) of the top fruit area in Germany id used for apple cultivation in 2012. In Germany in 2012 top fruit is grown on about 46,000 HA. Compared to five years ago this is about 2,300 HA less (-5%).
 
The German apple area is about 32,000 HA in 2012. Compared to 2007 the area is just about the same. Nevertheless the number of apple trees increased by about 6% to about 72 million. About 87% of the apples is sold as eating apples. The remaining 13% is processed. The mostly grown apple varieties of 2012 are Elstar (6,000 HA), Jonagold (3,000 HA), Janagored (2,500 HA) and Braeburn (2,400 HA).
 
After the apple the black cherry is the most important stone fruit in Germany. Black cherries are grown annually on about 5,000 HA here. The largest German growing areas of top fruit are in Baden-Württemberg (about 15.000 HA) and Lower Saxony (about 9.000 HA).
 


Publication date:
Author:
©



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber