Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- "Our Kissabel apples go beyond offering a new variety"
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
- Peru: French company is interested in dried organic produce
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Sicily table grape season gets underwayIn Sicily, in the area of Mazzarone (Catania, Italy) the table grape harvest has just started. Table grapes were cultivated under cover in order to speed up their production. Colleroni’s company are picking the first bunches of Victoria variety (white grapes) and Black Magic variety (black grapes).
As Sammy Fisicaro, marketing manager at Colleroni, explains: “The harvest started at the beginning of June 2012 and it will go on up to 15th-20th July. Grapes are cultivated under cover, that is a protected environment where the microclimate speeds up the growth of grapes. Under cover grapes, being more shielded, require less phytosanitary treatments, so they are almost zero residue.”
Thanks to improved agronomic techniques, producers of this area can get excellent table grapes about 50 days ahead of normal. In this way, Sicilian grapes can efficaciously take the place of those coming from the southern hemisphere.
Colleroni run a 40-hectare vineyard for a whole production of 100 tons.
“Our grapes are really appreciated all over Europe”, Sammy goes on. “The main customer countries apart from Italy are Austria, Germany, Switzerland and France. This year, in particular, there has been much more interest in these seedless grapes because the quality of North Africa grapes was not so high. Plus, there were logistical problems due to the difficult economic and social situation led by the so-called 'Arab Spring'. In Sicily, on the contrary, thanks to the good weather conditions during the spring season, products are excellent both for their size and taste.”
Grapes are packed immediately after the harvest in the field, in order to prevent the delicate fruit from being handled too much. Expert staff cut grapes from vine-stocks and pack them.
Colleroni thinks it will be a good marketing season and as Mimmo Fisicaro, logistics manager, adds: “The experience teaches us that if a product’s quality is high, customers will appreciate it and buy it.”
Sammy Fisicaro - Marketing manager
Mimmo Fisicaro - Logistics manager
Phone: +39 (0)95 995515
Fax: +39 (0)95 8880504
Publication date: 6/12/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: