Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Irrigated acreage grew by 2.1% in 2017
Based on the Survey on Acreage and Crop Yields (ESYRCE), the total irrigated acreage in Spain stood at 3,733,695 hectares in 2017, which is 2.1% more than in 2016 (3,655,417 hectares) and 2.6% more compared to 2015 (3,636,519 hectares).
This increase has been accompanied by developments in the different types of irrigation. The system that has grown the most in recent years is localised irrigation (14.85%), implemented in 415,565 new hectares since 2007, with on-going growth over the years. The center pivot system, which has been implanted in 68,211 new hectares over the last 11 years, fluctuates more over the years, mainly due to it being more commonly used for arable crops. The system has grown by 2.25% in 2017 compared to 2016 and by 12.28% compared to the 2007-2017 average. In general, more technified systems have expanded in recent years, to the detriment of gravity irrigation and other systems.
Distribution of the irrigated acreage by irrigation systems
The Localised system, with 1.917.892 hectares (51.37% of the total) and the Gravity system (926.748 hectares; 24.82% of the total), account for 76.18% of Spain's total irrigated acreage. The Aspersion system (570.360 hectares; 15.28%) and the Center Pivot system (318.695 hectares; 8.54%) follow them in importance.
The four Autonomous Regions with the most irrigated area are:
- Andalusia (1.095.918 hectares; 29,35% of the total),
- Castile-La Mancha (540.253 hectares; 14,47%).
- Castile-Leon (445.142 hectares; 11,92%)
- Aragon (407.351 hectares; 10,91%)
- These are followed by the Region of Valencia, Extremadura, Catalonia and the Region of Murcia, which together account for 27.07% of the Spanish irrigated land.
Publication date: 3/8/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: