- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Dole brand Baby Spinach with Tender Reds recalled due to Listeria monocytogenes
- Tenderstem hits the festival circuit for summer experiential
- India to start exporting goods to China, replacing US products
- ClemenGold establishing a market pull for its mandarins
- Turkey: Low productivity for onion harvest in Edirne
Top 5 -last week
Wet weather complicates Polish potato harvest
"We are in for a challenging year in the potato industry. The weather has been really difficult, with average rainfall above the 40 year average. At the moment it has been too wet in general for most to harvest, with some fields being completely flooded. It is still too early to really say what will happen, Polish weather could change at any time. We are expecting two weeks of good and warm weather so this will definitely help. and once the snow and frost comes it will be too late to harvest the remaining potatoes," shared Lukasz Ostrowicz from Bugaj.
There are also concerns about whether or not the moisture will cause quality issues making it difficult to store the potatoes for later in the year.
The production forecast of the Polish Central Statistical Office, however, says the the total production could exceed 9 million tonnes, a 2% increase compared to the previous season.
"All of this (also the fact that the production in Europe is bigger and there is less demand for the imported ware) has meant that Polish potato producers will probably not be pushing as hard this year to gain the access to EU export, but their main focus will be getting through the season. However, the potato industry in Poland continues to work together to become a stronger industry. There has been a recent push to become more actively involved in Potato Europe, by hosting the event in Poland every 5 years. The application comes after a very successful Polish Potato Days that took place in the end of August this year in Kalinowa in central Poland. It was the biggest potato event ever organised in Poland with 150 exhibitors and more than 10.000 visitors, many of the from abroad," said Lukasz.
The Polish National Potato Association Board also announced earlier this week that it will be holding a two day potato conference on 23 January.
For more information:
Tel: +48 698 678 536
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/20/2018 US potatoes - 2017 Summary
- 09/20/2018 "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
- 09/19/2018 US: Truck with no brakes spills onions near Paterson
- 09/19/2018 Uganda: Sweet potato porridge hits supermarket shelves
- 09/18/2018 Market and Crop Update for September 13, 2018
- 09/18/2018 International potato sales highest ever for the United States
- 09/18/2018 France: "Surfaces planted with traditional shallots in decline"
- 09/17/2018 Potato Europe 2018: Focus on seeds, machinery and storage technology
- 09/17/2018 Turkey: Potato harvest kicks off harvest in Bolu
- 09/17/2018 "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- 09/17/2018 India: Nafed to begin disposal of 13k tons of buffer onion stock
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: High productivity for potato harvest in Bitlis
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Onion harvest has started in Bandirma
- 09/14/2018 Germany faces potato shortage after record hot, dry summer
- 09/14/2018 "Calmer atmosphere on the Dutch markets"
- 09/14/2018 "Luckily we made some headway with bale prices"
- 09/14/2018 Potato production in Azerbaijan - double the country's demand
- 09/14/2018 Record export volume for Holland Onions
- 09/14/2018 Canada: Potato crop on Prince Edward Island in need of rain
- 09/14/2018 US senator wants to probe alleged Canadian potato dumping