- Tomato Breeder (H/F)
- Junior / Senior Export Manager
- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Greenhouse Investment Analyst - Portland (OR) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
- (Assistant) Manager
- Senior Commodities Trader | Pulses | Ukraine
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Nursery Manager - Roydon (Essex) UK
A unique position for an experienced Nursery Manager on a commercial sweet pepper greenhouse has become available in our progressive company located in Roydon, Essex.
Gee Vee Enterprises Ltd. is a family run greenhouse company that was established over 20 years ago in the heart of the Lea Valley. We grow sweet peppers of all varieties for supermarkets and packhouses around the country from our three hectare site. We are continuously testing and implementing new innovations and technology to maximise the quality of our product, increase efficiency in our operations and grow more sustainably. These include an automated harvesting system, rainwater harvesting catchment and LED supplementary lighting trials and a culture that embraces curiosity and new ideas.
You will become part of our management team, working directly under the Managing Director. As Nursery Manager, you will have responsibility for all aspects of the day to day running of the site, including growing a hydroponic sweet pepper crop, climate control methods, irrigation and yield forecasts.
Candidates will require a strong understanding of greenhouse growing and constantly look for ways to maximise yield whilst ensuring the quality of the crop remains high. Other duties will include the supervision of staff, harvest and dispatch management, co-ordinating company audits and maintaining high standards of workplace Health & Safety.
The role requires alternate weekend cover.
As Nursery Manager, your duties will include:
- Ensuring optimum productivity on all areas of the nursery, including supervising and managing staff to coordinate the logistics of harvesting and training the crop during the growing season
- Calculating and circulating crop yield forecasts to relevant stakeholders
- Collecting, sending and managing fertiliser requirements in plants and adapting in accordance with crop response including the application of fertigation as required
- Managing and supervising the release of Beneficial Insects and Crop Control products to ensure plant protection (Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Ensuring all climate and irrigation systems are running optimally and resolving alarms both on site and via remote access as required
- Supervising and co-ordinating employees throughout the non-growing season to understand crop removal, disinfecting the greenhouses, as well as undertaking preparatory work for the new season
- Machinery and Mechanical Upkeep/Maintenance
- Preparing for Assurance schemes’ audit inspections and managing the companies audit processes
- Undertaking Health and Safety audits and leading the company and its workforce on good business health and safety practices
- Site management on alternate weekends, including staff management and 24-hour alarm call out
- Recruiting new staff, providing training programmes and ensuring staff are supported to help the business succeed
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years’ experience in Horticulture or Greenhouse management
- Good people skills and experience in managing teams
- Ability to work under pressure and think on your feet when dealing with difficult and unpredictable situations
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in hot and humid environments
- Ambition and long-term commitment
- Ability to undertake manual tasks as the role requires
- Strong management skills preferably gained within the Horticulture Industry
- Computer Literacy
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Full, clean driving licence
- Certificate in Competence of the Safe Use of Chemicals (PA1, PA6)
- Competence and understanding of automated Climate control systems and irrigation systems
- Supplementary LED lighting techniques and the ability of plant growth
- Institute of Occupational Safety and Health Certificate or other health and safety qualification
- First Aid certification
- Food safety experience (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP))
- Registered with the National Register of Spray Operators
- Proven track record in coordinating audits in a greenhouse environment
- Qualification in Horticulture
- Forklift licence
- Experience in growing sweet peppers using hydroponics
- Experience in working with automated systems
Salary is competitive in accordance with experience.
On-site accommodation may be available for successful candidates who are not local to the area.
This is a fantastic opportunity for those who have worked in a similar position and are now looking for a new challenge. To find out more, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org