- Laboratory Project Manager - Almeria, Spain
- Junior buyer/ seller - Alicante, Spain
- Office and Sales Administrator - Alkmaar - Schagen, Nederland
- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
Company: New Tomato Farm
Region: Iowa, USA
Our client is a subsidiary of a privately held, family-owned company established in the 19th century in the USA. Their farms are in operation already since 1990 with a simple desire to grow fresh, vineripened, great tasting tomatoes year-round. Their expert team has created a perfect growing environment, combining the latest in greenhouse design and technology with the hands-on TLC it takes to produce the sweetest, juiciest tomatoes.
The farm and position
As our client is currently expanding to a second location in Iowa, by building a brand new, state-of-theart greenhouse for the production of tomatoes, we are seeking an expert Head Grower on their
As Head Grower you will be the first horticulturist to work in this brand new facility and lead this new tomato program ! If you are looking for an opportunity to combine your passion for horticulture and your expertise in greenhouse hydroponics with like-minded individuals at an industry leader, this is the role for you.
The Head Grower position reports to the central Head Grower at the older farm in Minnesota. You will have full responsibility for cultivating and harvesting horticultural specialties primarily focused on tomatoes. The company takes pride in ensuring a high-quality tomato product and establishing itself as a premier brand in the marketplace. The Head Grower will provide effective leadership for a greenhouse team of approximately 50+ employees and create an engaging work environment that ensures employees are valued and recognized.
- Close co-operation with leadership to anticipate product needs and to meet goals in terms of quantity and quality.
- Ensure effective climate control including temperature, ventilation, humidity, and irrigation to provide optimum growing conditions to maximize quality and yield.
- Lead an IPM program to monitor conditions, identify concerns, and implement solutions to correct.
- Create seasonal staffing plans to ensure adequate staffing to meet productivity requirements.
- Ensure proper training and certification in place for all greenhouse employees.
- Develop and implement an effective preventive maintenance program for greenhouse and equipment. Ensure process for repair and replacement in a timely manner.
- Oversee pack house operations to ensure a smooth operation and consistent quality.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized environment to meet requirements for a food production facility.
- Ensure compliance and record keeping i.c.w. with guidelines required to maintain Food Safety Certification.
- Utilize technology to maximize efficiency, process, and reduce labor costs.
- Apply continuous learning (CI) to improve quality and processes.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Plant Sciences, Greenhouse Horticulture, Agronomy or related field, or experience of equal merit.
- A history of progressive work experience in a greenhouse or related industry
- Proven and relevant experience with greenhouse hydroponics
- Knowledge of horticulture, greenhouse environment, and growing operations. Experience in growing tomatoes highly desired but not required.
- Knowledge of pesticides, insecticides, fertilizers, and watering and planning procedures.
- Knowledge of integrated pest management (IPM) operations and licensed in application.
- Business acumen and previous supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated skill and proficiency with Windows-based computer applications and other industryrelated software, and office and plant equipment.
- Excellent conceptual thinking skills and ability to identify and analyze complex and sensitive issues.
- Uses independent judgment to make decisions, and to recommend and/or implement solutions.
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly, fluently and diplomatically, orally and in writing in the English language.
- Spanish language skills are highly welcomed.
- Ability to maintain excellent interpersonal and cooperative relationships while participating in sectional and cross-functional groups and teams involving management, staff, and clients.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and accurately follow through on work activities with time constraints and interruptions to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with staff, managers, executives, and others to garner cooperation and maintain service excellence.
- Ability to effectively balance multiple projects and workload, in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to generate goodwill for the organization and its management among staff, clients, suppliers, referral sources, regulatory bodies, the general community
- Meeting the physical and cognitive demands to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- A very competitive salary, including life and health insurances.
- An attractive Bonus scheme based on individual targets
- An indefinite contract
As the opening of the new location is planned for mid-2020, the preferred starting date of the new candidate is as soon as possible
Lutgo HR in the Netherlands is the external representative of this client for the recruitment, assessment and selection of candidates for this position.
Please send your letter of motivation, CV/Resume and listing of relevant references, to email@example.com indicating vacancy code O190185.