- Office (sales) manager China - Zhangjiagang
- Apple Production Manager - Freestate, South Africa
- Entomologist - Canada
- Head Grower - Hudson (OH) USA
- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Kenyan avocado season has mixed results depending on variety
- Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- "Ceremony held for first shipment of cold-treatment-free cherries from Izmir, Turkey"
- "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
Top 5 -last month
Director of Operations - Ethiopia
GreenPath Food is currently seeking a dynamic, high-performing individual to serve as its Director of Operations in Ethiopia. As a member of the Executive Team, the Director of Operations will help GreenPath Food strengthen our performance, drive our next generation of growth, and identify and rally the staff we need to scale 10x in the next 36 months. In exchange, the selected individual can expect invaluable experience and a unique opportunity to help shape the future of a fast-growing social enterprise in one of Africa's most promising economies.
About GreenPath Food
GreenPath Food is a specialty food company that produces and sources premium, organic food products through a network of smallholder Partner Farms across East Africa. By supplying farmers with inputs, financing, and technical support and then aggregating, purchasing, and processing their products, GreenPath creates sustainable supply chains for our global customers and sustainable farms and livelihoods for thousands of smallholder farmers.
GreenPath currently operates its flagship operation in southern Ethiopia, with plans to expand to multiple new sites in 2019-2021. Using biodynamic farming practices, our Partner Farms cultivate “food forests,” which yield a portfolio of fresh produce and dried herbs and spices for export to Europe, the UK, the US, and the UAE. With a growing team, farmer network, and global customer base, we're on the lookout for supremely capable talent with a passion for food and a deep commitment to improve its roots. Learn more about GreenPath Food at www.greenpathfood.com.
Ideal Candidate Profile
GreenPath’s future Director of Operations is a world-class problem-solver who craves challenge, thrives in complex environments, and is capable of driving exponential scale. They have demonstrated ability to lead a rapidly growing, analytically rigorous operation as it grows from 150 to 5000+ farmers and 75 to 500+ employees over the next several years.
The ideal candidate is either from a developing country or has extensive experience living in one. We especially welcome candidates with 5 or more years of agribusiness experience, 10 or more years of overall work experience, and extensive experience in Sub-Saharan Africa (preferably Ethiopia). Candidates who have worked in horticulture and/or dried botanicals and spices are highly preferred. Other experience related to management and oversight of nursery, farm, packhouse, processing, quality assurance, logistics, and/or other agribusiness operations is also encouraged.
The Director of Operations is responsible to lead operations and execution in Ethiopia, ensuring the company delivers on its strategy and targets.
The selected Director of Operations will unleash their skills and creativity to improve our messiest processes and solve our most interesting problems. Their average day will be spent planning production and improving forecast across hundreds of farms, evaluating new cutting-edge smallholder technologies and engagement models, supporting field managers to motivate staff and drive efficiency, and rapidly iterating and continuously improving our internal systems and processes.
As a member of the Executive Team, the Director of Operations will be involved in all aspects of company leadership and management - however, the following list reflects the core operational responsibilities they will assume:
Directly supervise the Site Managers running each of the company’s
Farmer Service Centers (FSCs)
Oversee all of the company’s Production activities - including nursery,
Partner Farm, and Company Farm production
Oversee all of the company’s Packhouse & Processing operations to
ensure maximum process efficiency and product quality
Coordinate all planning and activities related to the procurement of
consumable goods (including inputs, seeds, packaging, etc.) to
ensure the company maintains a minimum of two months of
inventory at all times
Ensure operations expenditure remains within the planned
Planning, Growth, & Company Strategy
Co-create an iterative, evidence-based scaling strategy that
sustainably increases production at multiple Production Areas
in Ethiopia; then lead the operationalization of this strategy
Collaboratively develop quarterly and annual targets and work
plans for the company as a whole, as well as for the operations
team individually; then supervise their execution
Team Leadership, Recruitment, & Management
Contribute to the company’s growth and success by playing
an active, participatory role in regular Senior Team meetings
Motivate, inspire, and guide staff so that they each meet their
responsibilities and outcomes, while enjoying their work and
embodying the company values
Sponsor hiring of top-class senior and deputy-level management
for all open Operations positions
Required Skills & Experience
- Strong quantitative skills and demonstrated comfort in a data-driven, analytical rigorous operation
- Experience leading projects, managing and owning responsibility for all aspects, from conception to execution
- Experience managing (directly and indirectly) a team of ~50 individuals
- At least 2 years of experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working in an international context, interacting with private and public-sector stakeholders, across various countries and cultures
- Experience engaging with professional individuals across levels, from junior team members to senior executives
- Experience in developing and building teams, with tangible examples of a focus on professional development, high efficiency teamwork and creating growth opportunities for team members
- At least 5 years of professional experience working in one of the following: agribusiness, agro-processing, horticulture, export-oriented trade, consumer goods, outgrower management, value chain development, or other related sectors
- Fluency in English
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience working at an early-stage business
- Experience working in Ethiopia for at least 2 years
- Familiarity with Amharic, Oromifa (Afan Oromo), and/or Guragigna
This is an Executive Management position, and we are, therefore, seeking someone who is prepared to make a minimum commitment of three years. A five year commitment is strongly preferred. Should performance of the individual prove to be strong and there be mutual agreement that the individual is a good fit for the role, a longer-term position is desired.
Compensation will include a competitive monthly salary and allowance package, plus incentive compensation based on performance.
This position will split time between Addis Ababa and GreenPath’s various production sites. It will include substantial time across company and Partner Farm land.
Diversity at GreenPath
- GreenPath Food employs a majority of female workers and is deeply committed to recruiting and supporting female staff and leadership. Female candidates are actively encouraged to apply for this position.
- We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, religious beliefs, race or ethnicity, or any other personal beliefs or orientations - nor do we welcome candidates who do.
Interested candidates are invited to contact email@example.com with a CV and a cover letter detailing how you’ll help make GreenPath great. For more information, visit our website at www.greenpathfood.com.