- Sales & Product representative Pot & Garden USA
- Supervisor International Horticultural Projects (USA)
- Director Of Growing - Carleton (MI) USA
- Greenhouse Manager - Cleburne (TX) USA
- Sales Manager
- Growing Manager young vegetable plants
- Sales Agents / Representatives - Germany
- Lead Grower California USA
- Produce Construction Manager - USA
- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Director Of Growing - Carleton (MI) USA
Four Star Greenhouse is seeking a new Director of Growing Operations as Dennis Crum transitions to a new role.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for plants and people and will lead all growing functions within the company. The candidate will also serve as an ambassador for Four Star and the Proven Winners brand worldwide. This is an opportunity for a driven individual to contribute to the continued long-term success of a growing, innovative and highly successful company. The selected candidate will work with Dennis during the 2019/20 season and assume full responsibilities by early 2021.
The new director will have their finger on the pulse of the industry and will be a strong advocate for cooperation across all departments to achieve goals, resolve challenges and identify new and creative ways to keep Four Star at the forefront of the industry.
This position is part of the executive leadership team which is instrumental in designing and implementing business strategies, plans and procedures with a high degree of integrity and confidentiality.
The qualified candidate will have a proven track record of successful hands on experience managing a growing department and a two or four year degree in horticulture or related field.
Qualified candidates to provide a cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or apply in person M-F 8am – 4pm. Please visit our website at http://pwfourstar.com/resources/employment-opportunities to view a comprehensive job description.
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Growing (DG) provides the leadership and direction for all growing staff and operations within the company as well as coordinating all growing related activities outside of the company. The DG serves as an ambassador for Four Star and the Proven Winners brand worldwide. This position is part of the executive leadership team which is instrumental in designing and implementing business strategies, plans and procedures with a high degree of integrity and confidentiality. The DG ensures that processes and results exceed service level expectations and supports the Four Star Mission Statement with all internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL GROWING DEPARTMENT FUNCTIONS:
1. Create and maintain an organizational structure for the Growing Dept. that optimizes results, achieves department goals and effectively recruits, hires, utilizes and develops talent within the department. This should result in establishing a “growing bench” of competent people that may be promoted to suitable positions.
2. Provide the leadership, direction and support to ensure that the entire Growing Dept. exceeds service level expectations internally and with customers. The DG leads a team that consists of:
a. 3 Crop Managers (PLMs),
b. 2 Site Managers,
c. 1 Integrated Pest Management Supervisor (IPMS),
d. 2 Grower Supervisors,
e. 20 Section Growers and other support staff at peak season,
f. 10 Research & Development (R&D) team members,
g. 2 Laboratory Technicians.
3. The DG is instrumental in developing product sales plans for each season and then creates a plan for growing those crops within our 25+ acre facility as well as for our offsite facilities. This process includes planning the required space and establishing the correct environmental conditions to meet seasonal goals. The DG plans and organizes the flow of products from suppliers, through our internal growing operation and our offsites until it ultimately reaches our Shipping department as a finished product.
4. The DG creates each individual crop’s grow plan as a collaboration with R&D, the PLMs, Site Managers and the IPMS. These grow plans may be customized to accommodate changing conditions, differing facilities and the limitations of space in order to meet established sales plans. Grow plans include:
a. Detailed timing of all processes based on container size, time of year and quality specifications,
b. pH & EC requirements,
c. Environmental conditions using Argus (lighting, heating/cooling, humidity, etc),
d. Preventative and curative applications,
e. Growth regulators,
f. Biological controls and
g. Laboratory testing protocols
5. The DG partners with our Production team to make sure that they have the staff, instructions, supplies and equipment to produce our products. The DG also partners with the Shipping team to ensure that our high-quality finished product matches each customer’s high expectations.
6. Use analytical techniques (such as ‘lean flow’) to make continuous improvements in the product quality resulting in a high degree of customer satisfaction.
7. Identify opportunities to increase productivity, lower costs, and broaden our customer base. Be aware of innovative and emerging trends and recommend new processes, equipment and techniques that raise the level of our growing functions.
8. Forecast an annual budget and manage to stay within the budget. Report reasons for variances on a timely basis.
9. Forecast capital expenditures in a rolling 1 to 3 yr framework.
10.Support the leadership of our R&D department in its primary functions. Be fully informed of expectations emanating from Proven Winners North America (PWNA). Assist in reshaping the PWNA expectations that fall outside of the Four Star work parameters.
ESSENTIAL EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONS:
1. Provide information from a growing perspective, both internally and regarding PWNA, that keeps the team fully informed about product quality, challenges affecting the Growing Department, cross department cooperation needs, opportunities for improved functioning as a company, customer feedback & our response.
2. Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures as a collaboration with the Executive team.
ESSENTIAL MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS:
1. Manage your direct reports so that they are goal focused, competently trained and adequately supported in a safe, secure, legal and Navigator compliant environment. Guide your direct reports to provide the same to their employees.
2. Provide regular feedback and coaching that keeps direct reports highly motivated and achieving desired outcomes.
3. Provide formal and informal learning experiences that create opportunity for individual growth.
4. Celebrate department and individual successes. Make gratitude a regular feature of the Growing Department culture.
5. Ensure that job descriptions are accurate and that performance evaluations are delivered on time and following the company guidelines.
6. Demonstrate leadership ability, confidence and executive presence and utilize positive leadership traits to engage and motivate staff. Display leadership behavior and a work ethic that is contagious and results in a positive work environment. Establish habits and exercise your management functions so they are consistent with those identified in “The Navigator.”
7. Report disciplinary issues or any other issues that may have legal implications for the Company to Human Resources without delay. Initiate disciplinary actions as a partnership with HR when necessary.
1. Two or four year degree in Horticulture or related field is preferred.
2. A proven track record of successful hands on experience managing a growing department.