Spring and summer holidays generated higher avocado unit sales compared to 2022 according to the recently released holiday retail recap report from the Hass Avocado Board (HAB). Easter, Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day and Father’s Day contributed a combined 27.5M incremental avocado units versus the prior year. Avocado volume during Cinco De Mayo grew by 37 percent vs. the prior year, adding +10.3 million units to the category during the holiday week. The retail recap reported sales volume and retail dollar holiday sales reached 182.7 million units and $194.9 million during the second quarter.
HAB produces quarterly reports about national holiday retail sales performance to provide retail sales information for category managers, marketers, retailers and industry leaders.
Key highlights include:
- Avocado unit sales during Easter rose to 44.4M units, increasing +14 percent versus 2022. Avocado dollar sales decreased -20 percent to $47.2M and ASP fell -30 percent to $1.06/unit during the holiday week.
- Extra Large Avocados (PLU 4770) posted a triple-digit growth rate of +103 percent compared to the prior year’s sales. Large (PLU 4225) avocados also grew +50.4 percent and bagged avocados grew +8.2 percent during the holiday week.
Cinco De Mayo
- Total dollar sales declined -17 percent during the week to $52.1M. Avocado unit sales rose to 52.2M units, delivering a +24 percent increase in unit sales versus the prior year.
- Bagged and organic avocados drove a +2.0M unit growth in retail sales. Additionally, Large and Extra-Large avocado volume more than doubled compared to the year prior.
HAB’s retail recap reveals increased unit sales for Easter, Cinco De Mayo, Memorial Day and Father’s Day.
- Unit sales rose to 43.5M units, up +19 percent compared to 2022, which resulted in $48.6M in retail sales. Additionally, ASP fell -31 percent to $1.12/unit.
- Extra-Large avocados (PLU 4770) grew by +169 percent during the holiday week contributing +4.4M units to the category.
- National avocado unit sales reached 42.6M units, up +13 percent from the prior year, while dollar sales decreased by -19 percent when compared to the prior year.
- Extra-Large (PLU 4770), Large (PLU 4225) and Bagged avocado units grew by double digits compared to the prior year, adding a combined +6.0M units to the category versus 2022.
HAB releases a holiday recap each quarter covering avocado sales trends for key avocado holidays and events. In each holiday report, users can view year-over-year sales performance for each holiday week. Each report details sales trends for dollar sales, units, and average selling price, which provides information for planning future holiday promotions.